How Can I Take Care Of My Teeth During Pregnancy And My Everyday Life?
- Brush at least Twice a Day, Three times is better. Most Dentists recommend using Toothpaste with Fluoride to protect your mouth from cavities, which you are more prone to during pregnancy. However, there is controversy about whether it is healthy for your baby. So I have listed some resources below about pros and cons of using fluoride. Personally I am mostly using toothpaste without fluoride and 2-3 times a week toothpaste with fluoride.
- Use Fluoride to help prevent cavities.
- Floss your teeth daily. This is something my Dentist has always got on about with me. How important it is in order to get the food out from between your teeth which can cause plaque build up, loss of enamel and cavities.
- Nightly mouthwash rinse to help protect your mouth against plaque and gum disease. I suggest an organic non toxic mouth rinse down below.
- Make a routine check up and cleaning with the dentist during your pregnancy. If you have cavities they tend not to take care of them till after the pregnancy. However, it is a good practice to get checked out, see how your teeth and gums are looking and get a cleaning.
- Drink Water. Water does a lot of good for our body. Dry mouth can cause cavities and gum problems. So something as simple as drinking enough water can help to keep your mouth moisturised. It is best to cut down on the sugary drinks, which contribute to tooth decay.
- What to do if you have morning sickness and have thrown up? Stomach acid can do a number on your teeth. Try rinsing with a teaspoon of baking soda mixed with water to stop the acid from attacking your teeth.
- Make sure you are eating a healthy balanced diet. The better foods you eat the better shape your body, baby and your teeth will be in. Obviously sugary foods, ice cream, baked goods, candy… all these foods will eat away at your teeth and you will probably end up with cavities if your not careful…. me! I’m not saying it’s easy because believe me I have a sweet tooth. But that is the reality.
Is Fluoride Safe To Use During Pregnancy?
Sodium Fluoride is a 5 on the EWG Hazard Scale (low hazard 1 to high hazard 10). Click here to read EWG description of Fluoride. So it has moderate toxicity. However there is little evidence that there is any developmental toxicity. It is more of an irritant than anything.
I have cavity prone teeth in general and decided to use fluoride during my pregnancy.
I am happy to say I have a happy, healthy baby boy despite using flouride. Unfortunately I still got 2 cavities that needed fillings postpartum.
Here are some resources to learn more about Fluoride during pregnancy:
- High fluoride levels in pregnancy may lower offspring IQ by medicalnewstoday.com
- Pregnancy Oral Health: Is Fluoride Safe? by healthypregnancy.com
- Fluoride and Pregnancy by fluoridealert.org
- EWG’s take on Fluoride.
- Article by Evolving Wellness called “Why I will never use fluoride toothpaste again.”
- Here is an article about pros and cons of fluoride: “The Great Debate: Should We All Switch to a Fluoride-Free Toothpaste?”
About These Oral Care Products
I’ve researched these products through the EWG, (Environmental Working Group) to find products with low toxicity. I also only include products from amazon that are 4 stars or better.
For More information on determining what is safe or not check out my Essential Guide To Safe Personal Care Products During Pregnancy
I am currently using Burt’s Bees Clean & Fresh Mint Medley Toothpaste with Fluoride. It uses essential oils and it is my favorite so far. It has a rating of 3 according to the EWG.
*Disclaimer: Please note there might be affiliate links on this page. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you do click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, there is no extra cost for doing so.*
I will be updating this page as I review the products I try out and as I find other products I think you would like.
Tom’s of Maine Anti-plaque & Whitening Toothpaste – EWG Scale 1
Check out on Amazon – 4 -1/2 Star Rating
Dr. Brite Toothpaste – EWG Verified Product Scale 1
Check Out On Amazon – 4-1/2 Star Rating
Tom’s of Maine Whole Care Toothpaste, Spearmint – EWG Scale 2
Check On Amazon– 4-1/2 Star Rating
Burt’s Bees Toothpaste Clean & Fresh, Mint Medley – EWG Scale 3
Check Out On Amazon– 4-1/2 Star Rating
Crest 3D White Toothpaste Radiant Mint – EWG 3
Check Out on Amazon– 4-1/2 Star Rating
TheraBreath Fresh Breath Oral Rinse– EWG 1
Check Out On Amazon– 4- 1/2 Star Rating
Dr. Brite Mouthwash – EWG Verified Product Scale 1
Check Out On Amazon– 4-1/2 Stars
Crest Pro Health Advanced Extra Whitening Mouthwash– EWG 3
Check Out On Amazon– 4 Star Rating
What is your favorite toothpaste and mouthwash? Do you know the EWG Rating for them?