Best Horse Names For Your Horse. Pick Out The Perfect One!
The Pressure To Get The Name Right
Best horse names? Where to find them? Ugh right here of course. You found the gold mine!
I can only imagine how excited you are to be getting a new horse or maybe your first horse. You want to pick the best horse name for your new equine partner.
Your stomach tightens into a knot and you feel a tinge of anxious excitement course through your body.
You imagine what your horse will be like, all the adventures you will go on, and things you will do together.
You want to get the name perfect for this horse, the best horse name you can come up with.
- Because you will be calling the horse by this name all the time.
- The name will be engraved on a stall plate, halter plate, bridle plate, saddle plate.
- If you want to go really cray cray you will have your brushes, grooming tote and tack trunk engraved with their name as well as all the blankets and dare I say saddle pads.
- People will ask you what your horses name is.
- The vet and farrier will have written records with your horses name.
- At shows your horses name will be called out.
Your horses name may make memorable impression or not.
And of course if you are to show with your horse then most likely your horse will have two names. A barn name and a show name.
The pressure to get you horse’s name right is real. Even if it’s just pressure you are putting on yourself.
You want to pick the best name for your equine bestie.
Coming Up With The Best Horse Names or Name For Your Horse
So to help you get it right and find the best horse name or names (if you are also going to be showing) for your noble steed.
I have created this mighty awesome list of horse names.
Choosing a Barn Name: Usually short one word and sometimes two.
Choosing a Show Name: Usually two words or more. Many times people use the show name as the official name for documents and vet, unless you don’t have a show name for your horse OR your horse has a registered name that you want to use instead. However that is up to you.
Registered Name: Your horse may already have a registered name. Some breed associations allow you to pay a fee to rename your horse’s registered name.
For example of what I did: A mare I used to own had a barn name, a show name and a registered name. I decided to use her barn name as her main official name.
Choose your horse’s name wisely. You can even have your horse help you choose their name.
I will share my ideas for having your horse help you make the choice, at the bottom of this post, below the list of names.
About This Best Horse Names List
After digging around the internet for days and days.
These are my favorite hand picked names I have found or made up myself that I think are awesome for horses.
I have divided the names into categories which you can see by scrolling down to the list or by scrolling up to the table of contents.
So keep reading to find your horses perfect name and don’t forget to see the ways you can include your horse in the process of choosing their name.
Best Horse Names For Funny Horses
- Hairy Trotter
- Bilbo Baggins
- Bitney Spurs
- Princess Fluffy
- Hoofing It
- Foaling Around
Best Horse Names For Bossy Horses
- Mr. Bossypants
- Boss Man
- Cat Sass
- I’m No Sweetpea
- Ms. Sassafrass
- And I’m Worth It
- Rouge One
- A Real Deagon
- Kiss My Asterisk
Best Horse Names For Calm & Cuddly Horses
- User Friendly
- City Slicker Safe
- Cool Dude
- Peace Over Me
- Delightful Daisy
- Easy Grace
- Little Lady
- Calm and Cool
Best Horse Names For Lazy Horses
- Snail Mail
- Bubba Boy
- Lazy Bones
- Ms. Puffy
- Ms. Pokey
- Lazy Lady
- 4-Hooved Sloth
- Couch Potato
- Slow As Molasses
Best Horse Names For Foodie Horses
- Tater Tot
- Cheese Puff
- Big Mac
- Honey Bunches Of Oats
- I Wants The Chocolates
- Cup Cake
- Always Hungry
- They Never Feed Me
- Will Jump For Food
- Biscuit Eater
- Got Hay
- Fifty Bales Of Hay
Best Horse Names For High Energy Horses
- Go Go Gadget
- Buckle Up Buttercup
- Flaunt It
- Pocket Rocket
- Wind Dancer
- Zippity Do Da
- Energizer Bunny
Best Horse Names For Mischievous Horses
- Dennis The Menace
- Sgt. Wreckless
- High Maintenance
- Miss Bee Havin
Best Horse Names For Elegant Horses
- Gaits Of Heaven
- Mystic Mountain
- Amazing Elegance
- Mane Attraction
- Can’t Stop Staring
Best Horse Names For Brave Horses
- She’s Got Heart
- Into Victory
- Through The Valley
- Never Quits
Horse Color Names
Best Horse Names For Whites & Greys
- Arctic Wind
- Polar Express
- White Lightening
- I’m no Snowflake
- Ice Queen
- Snowy Wonderland
- Epic Snow Storm
- Cloud Dancer
- You Got The Silver
- More Sugar Than Spice
- Marshmallow Dreams
- Sugar Rush
Best Horse Names For Blacks
- Black Beard
- Dark Knight
- Jack Sparrow
- Dark Cloud
- Black Velvet
- Black Widow
- Shot In The Dark
- Midnight Maven
- Dark Side Of The Moon
- Black Storm
- Black Coffee
Best Horse Names For Bays & Browns
- Maple Sugar
- Chocolate Dream
- Lindor Truffle
Best Horse Names For Chestnuts and Sorrels
- Fire Fly
- Apple Of My Eye
- Feisty Red Head
- Cinnamon Spice
- Fire Cracker
- Solar Flare
- Red Delicious
Best Horse Names For Duns Palominos Buckskins & Cremellos
- Golden Boy
- Rose Gold
- Golden Ticket
- Lemon Meringue
- Lemon Drop
- Gold Star
Best Horse Names For Pintos
- Moo moo
- Boba Tea
- Color Me Beautiful
- A Colorful Affair
- Twisted Tea
- Cookies & Cream
- Ying Yang
- Paint By Numbers
- Spilled Paint
Best Horse Names For Spotty Coats
- Confetti King
- Milky Way
- Spotted Sky
- Dusty Moon
- Sprinkle Explosion
- Polka Dots
- Taste The Rainbow
- X Marks The Spot
- Fruity Pebbles
- Galaxy Cruiser
- Salt N Pepper
- Dots & Dashes
- Angus– Brave
- Khan– Mulan
- Maximus – Tangled
- Bullseye– Toy Story 2
- Buttercup– Toy Story 3
- Frou-Frou– The Aristocats
- Pegasus– Hercules
- Philip– The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe
- Samson– Sleeping Beauty
- Sitron– Frozen
- Snowball-Hunchback of Notre Dame
- Captain– 101 Dalmatians
Lord Of The Rings Horses
- Bill The Pony
Horses From Movies & TV
- Spirit– Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimmaron
- Sonador– Dreamer
- Silver– The Lone Ranger
- Lucky– Running Free
- Artax– The Neverending Story
- Pie– National Velvet
- Gunpowder– The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
- The Black– The Black Stallion
- Pilgrim– The Horse Whisperer
- Hidalgo– Hidalgo
- Beric– from Knights of the Round Table
- Cisco– Dances with Wolves
- Joey– War Horse
- Sonny– My Outlaw Brother
- Sprout– The Parent Trap
- Bandit– Caitlin’s Way
- Wildfire– ABC Family’s Wildfire
- Blue Jeans– Hannah Montan
- Trigger – Roy Rogers
Horses From Books
- Black Beauty– Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- Merrylegs- Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- Flicka– My Friend Flicka
- Silver Blaze– the Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Snowfire– Eragon by Christopher Paolini’s
- Whirlwind from Shadow Horse by Alison Hart
- Sunfire– Ravenheart and Sorrowheart by Kendra Ann Thomas
- Misty– Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry’s
- Sunchaser– The Unicorns Of Balinor by Mary Stanton
- Snow White
- Fleet Goddess
- Mr. Wonderful
- March To Glory
- Sterling’s Dream
Horses From History
- Black Jack Morgan- Quarter-horse last Quartermaster-issued U.S. Army horse was in more than 1,000 Armed Forces Full Honors Funerals (AFFHF).
- Blueskin– One of George Washington’s mounts In Revolutionary War
- Figure -Founding Morgan Sire.
- Cincinnati– one of Ulysses S. Grant’s horses.
- Comanche– only documented survivor of General Custer’s 7th Cavalry detachment at the Battle of Little Big Horn
- Copenhagen– the Duke of Wellington‘s favourite horse, which he rode at the Battle of Waterloo
- Clever Hans – A horse that could supposedly do math and tap out answers among other intellectual abilities.
- Cholla – Mustang with a knack for painting
- Marengo Napoleon’s horse which was captured by the British, and outlived Napoleon by eight years
- Nelson One of George Washington’s mounts In Revolutionary War
- Reckless became a decorated Marine for carrying supplies and ammunition into battle for the US Marine platoon in the Korean War
- Warrior– “Old Warrior”, the mount of General Jack Seely in the First World War from 1914 to 1918; awarded the Dickin Medal in 2014
- Traveller – Horse owned by Robert E. Lee.
Horses Owned By Celebrities
- Cheetah – Jamie Fox
- Eurayus – Viggo Mortensen
- Holly later called Brandy- Jennifer Lawrence
- Arabella– Lady Gaga
- Goldeneye -Johnny Depp
- Drukpa – Richard Gere
- Bobo– Kaley Cuoco
- Shcmooshy– Kaley Cuoco
- Poker Face– Kaley Cuoco
- Escarlata– Kaley Cuoco
- Nettypie– Kaley Cuoco
- Naomi -Mary-Kate Olsen
- Fatum – Mary-Kate Olsen
- Sparkler– Queen Elizabeth
My Little Pony
- Twilight Sparkle
- Apple Jack
- Rainbow Dash
- Pinkie Pie
- Princess Celestia
- Apple Bloom
- Shining Armor
- Sweetie Belle
- Smarty Jones
- Phar Lap
- Native Dancer
- Northern Dancer
- California Chrome
- Man O’ War
- War Admiral
- Seattle Slew
Horses of Mythology & Legend
- Arion– an immortal, extremely swift horse and could talk.
- Chollima – In Chinese and Korean mythology, a winged horse.
- Dora– war horse of Đurađ Senković.
- Embarr– Niamh and Lugh’s horse.
- Epona– Gaulish horse goddess.
- Glad– horse in Norse mythology.
- Glashtyn – From Celtic mythology, a shapeshifter that can appear as a man or a grey horse and lives in the sea.
- Gullfaxi Norse mythology “golden mane.”
- Gringolet– Sir Gawain’s horse.
- Hippogriff – in Greek mythology has the body of a horse and the head of an eagle with wings.
- Kelpie– mythical Celtic water horse.
- Kirin – A unicorn in Japanese mythology.
- Pegasus– a flying horse of Greek mythology
- Rhaebus– a horse in Roman myths.
- Tulpar– winged or swift horse in Turkic mythology.
- Tianma – winged horse in Chinese mythology.
- Phaethon – immortal horse in Greek mythology belonging to the goddess of the dawn.
- Xanthus – One of two immortal horses who pulled Achilles’ chariot.
Ways To Have Your Horse Help You Choose Their Name
Apples To Apples
Write down names on flash cards or pieces of paper.
Put on the ground under an apple for each name.
Make sure they are lined up in a row.
Lead horse over to apples.
See which apple he chooses and that is their name.
Hand Behind The Back | Classic
This is best when you have narrowed down the name to two different names.
Put a treat in each hand.
Assign a name to each treat.
Let your horse see you have treats.
Put your hands behind your back.
See which arm your horse nudges.
That treat with the assigned name is the winner.
Bobbing For Apples
Choose different colored apples and assigned each a name.
Put apples in water trough or water bucket.
Let your horse go bobbing for apples.
First apple that gets a bite that name is the winner.
Please Share This Post
If you found this post
Please share this post on Pinterest or your choice of social media. Thanks so much! This helps my blog to grow and be able to continue creating new content.